[Ohiogift] Early entrance to kindergarten assessment

Colleen Grady cdg.gradyllc at gmail.com
Fri May 10 11:40:46 EDT 2013

The language related to kindergarten entrance is being revised and
will likely go into HB 59 (budget bill).

The revised language will permit the enrollment of a student into
kindergarten (community schools and districts) provided they will be age 5
by January 1 using a district screening process. This will be considered
early entrance since students will not be age 5 prior to teh August or
September deadline adopted by the school or district. In addition to that
option, students who will not be age 5 by January 1 (no age limitation) may
also be admitted to kindergarten under the acceleration model utilizing the
IAS.

And yes, ODE knows they will need to communicate the correct information
immediately. I will suggest that once the language is finalized that ODE
notify districts and then follow up with instructions as soon as the bill
passes.

Colleen D. Grady
440-376-1325