[Ohiogift] Early entrance to kindergarten assessment

Colleen Boyle, PhD boyleconsulting at me.com
Fri May 10 13:44:16 EDT 2013

Hmmm..  I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.  So, the revised language lets the district use their regular screening process to allow kids born before January 1 to enter Kindergarten?  Or, does it allow the district to develop their own new screening process for that purpose outside of the acceleration process?  What was the rationale for the change and who was involved in crafting the language?

I'll be honest.  I have some concerns about changing the language that currently exists.  Let me be clear - the opinions I am about to voice are based solely on Colleen Grady's email introducing the idea of this language change.  I have not read the language myself, so this is just a gut reaction.  The positive that could come is that some kids could have an easier time getting into Kindergarten if they just have to meet the regular district screening process, and it would certainly reduce the workload on psychs and coordinators.  But, there are some unintended consequences I could see happening for those kids born between the entrance cut date and December 31.

1.  If districts can arbitrarily decide to allow kids who meet the screening (or not allow them), it becomes more subjective than the current acceleration policy and removes the advocacy voice of the coordinator.  So, some kids who should go could be left out.

2.  If districts HAVE to allow kids who meet the basic kindergarten screening criteria, it places some kids who may lack the maturity/cognitive ability needed to be successful.  The basic kindergarten screener was really not meant to determine if a child is ready for kindergarten or not for the purpose of actual admission.  Looking at the acceleration research on early entrance and the outcomes of that process versus others makes me concerned that kids who don't go through the full process will struggle later.  (An anecdotal admission - I shared yesterday about our longitudinal data.  A lot of those kids with average cog scores that we did not fully assess/place and who are middle of the road in their current grade levels would likely have gotten into Kindergarten if they just had to pass that basic K screener.  If they are average - and in some cases lower - in their current grade, what would it have been if they had entered a year earlier?)  If these kids who meet a less rigorous K screener but wouldn't qualify under the IAS get placed and struggle later, it both hurts the child and hurts other future kids by reinforcing those negative stereotypes so many educators already hold about acceleration.

3. If districts HAVE to allow kids who meet the basic kindergarten screening criteria, it will create an influx of kids and really overtask many districts who don't have the manpower - or in the case of most of my districts - the physical space to handle that many kids.  I could see districts then making their criteria more rigorous anyway.  So, then we would have tougher - and arbitrary - criteria from districts for the August-December kiddos, which could then over-filter kids who might be shown to benefit from early entrance if they went through the IAS and had a gifted advocate on their behalf (even if the child isn't gifted).

I feel like this kind of wording could lead up on a path right back to where we were before the state acceleration policy.  And, a change this late in the game would literally mean kids screened this spring would have one set of admission criteria and kids whose parents wait until July would be assessed under different criteria.  Now we have an equity issue.  Add to it that it has taken us 7 years to make as much progress as we have in getting districts to follow the state policy regarding acceleration and early entrance (and we still aren't fully there).  I worry that changing the rules will be multiple steps backwards in getting educators to recognize the value of early entrance where appropriate.

I would definitely need to hear more about the what, why, and how with all of this before I would ever voice any endorsement of it.

Colleen Boyle, PhD
Gifted Coordinator and Educational Consultant