[Ohiogift] Adults only

Margaret DeLacy margaretdelacy at comcast.net
Thu Oct 25 15:04:58 EDT 2012

>   1. Adults Only (Will Fitzhugh)

An especially egregious case is the latest issue of the Gifted Child Quarterly, which is entirely devoted to discussing the proposition (concocted by the leadership of the NAGC) that the goal of gifted education should be to produce "eminent" adults.  The entire issue does not contain one single mention of families or parents.  The voices of gifted students themselves are also conspicuous by their absence.  Evidently, what they want doesn't matter.

Here are a couple of excerpts:

 "all those already involved in gifted education, from teachers to policy makers, and, indeed, to researchers as well...." (Zigler et all, "Giftedness and Gifted Education" p. 194) (my italics)

"...it may be impossible to reconcile the ... concerns, needs, and perspectives of psychologists and educators...."  (McBee et al, "the Case for a Schism" p. 210.

Here I thought it was the National Organization for Gifted Children .  It turns out that it's the National Organization for funding discussions among academic researchers about what they should be doing.

Try to get a copy of the budget of the NAGC (not an easy task--I asked the NAGC for a copy repeatedly without success) and check to see how much is earmarked for student services, family support or parent education.  It's an interesting exercise.

Margaret