[Ohiogift] Fine Arts Question

Christine Depascale Christine.Depascale at neomin.org
Wed Oct 3 10:29:26 EDT 2012

Good Morning,

I have a 4/5 gifted self-contained class in my district.  I also have 6, 7 and 8 grade self-contained classes.   It is the first year for this configuration.  So far things are going well.  However, we have come up against some glitches along the way.  One problem that I am struggling to solve has to do with music.  The 4/5 class has fourteen 4th graders and six 5th graders.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance the music class for these students so that 5th graders aren't repeating what they learned last year and the 4th graders get the foundation that they need?  I am straining to come up with a viable solution.

Along that note, we have many gifted musicians in our district that were used to being in a pull-out that met once a week with the instructor.  We no longer have that option.  How can I still enrich these students talents?  It has been suggested that we have the music teachers differentiate for those students in the regular classroom.  I am open to ideas on how to achieve this.

I look forward to your responses.

Thank you for your help,

Christine DePascale
Warren City Schools Gifted Coordinator