[Ohiogift] Shanker in 1990 Plus Jessica Leight

Will Fitzhugh fitzhugh at tcr.org
Fri Oct 5 08:34:07 EDT 2012

Albert Shanker
President, American Federation of Teachers
1990  [New York Times]

			The Concord Review deserves support—and contributing a subscription to a local school library might be a good way of showing it. It is also worth thinking about as we consider how to reform our education system. As we’ve known for a long time, factory workers who never saw the completed product and worked on only a small part of it soon became bored and demoralized, But when they were allowed to see the whole process—or better yet become involved in it—productivity and morale improved.

			Students are no different. When we chop up the work they do into little bits—history facts and vocabulary and grammar rules to be learned—it’s no wonder that they are bored and disengaged.

			The achievement of The Concord Review’s authors offers a different model of learning. Maybe it’s time for us to take it seriously.

---------------------------

Yale University
New Haven, Connecticut 06520-2357

April 3, 2006

Will Fitzhugh, Founder
The Concord Review
730 Boston Post Road, Suite 24
Sudbury, Massachusetts 01776

Dear Mr. Fitzhugh:

			It has now been more than five years since I began to write the paper on Anne Hutchinson that was ultimately published in The Concord Review in 2001.  Five very eventful years, but I still remember the excitement of my first venture into historical research: wandering through the stacks looking for books, painstakingly recreating from bits and pieces of disparate evidence a story of a life so dramatically different from my own, and watching as a new scholarly creation all my own took shape. That in itself was momentous, and having the opportunity to publish and see my work recognized among my peers only served to reinforce the importance of this experience for me.  In The Concord Review, I saw myself as a scholar for the first time—a persona I would adopt more and more frequently as I grew older.

			At Yale, my interests evolved far away from the early American Puritans. I studied economics, explored the hemisphere, and roamed thousands of miles away from the Boston where both I and Anne Hutchinson had lived, but my memories of the thrill of independent research did not dim, and I pursued it eagerly—only now, it was Chilean trade policy that made my pulse beat faster. Transformed into an economist, I nonetheless treasured the lessons of my experience as a young historian.

	As a senior, you can imagine my surprise and pleasure when, at the conclusion of a Rhodes interview filled to bursting with talk of economic development, trade and international politics, I was asked to tell the committee about [my paper on] Anne Hutchinson. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to introduce yet again one of my favorite historical characters, and coincidentally or not, ended up with a trip to Oxford.  The fact that I could give that answer, is in part thanks to your tireless work on The Concord Review.

Sincerely,

Jessica Leight

[13,000-word] Paper on Anne Hutchinson
published in The Concord Review in Winter 2001
Gilder Lehrman American History Prize 2002
Ralph Waldo Emerson Prize 2003
B.A. in Ethics, Politics and Economics, Yale 2006
Rhodes Scholar 2006
Ph.D. Economics, MIT (2012)

----------------------------
“Teach by Example”
Will Fitzhugh [founder]
The Concord Review [1987]
Ralph Waldo Emerson Prizes [1995]
National Writing Board [1998]
TCR Institute [2002]
730 Boston Post Road, Suite 24
Sudbury, Massachusetts 01776-3371 USA
978-443-0022; 800-331-5007
www.tcr.org; fitzhugh at tcr.org
Varsity Academics®
www.tcr.org/blog

To unsubscribe from the ECC list, click the following link:
http://ed-consumers.com/scripts/wa-ECF.exe?SUBED1=ECC&A=1