[mvapich-discuss] How to Specify Processes Per Node With mvapich

Jonathan Perkins perkinjo at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Apr 22 13:30:31 EDT 2014

Hello Susan.

In order to control the number of processes per node with mpirun_rsh
you will need to provide a hostfile and use the extended syntax for
each hostname.

For example:
$ cat hostfile
node1:8
node2:8
node3:8
node4:8

When using this hostfile mpirun_rsh will place 8 processes for each
node.  Please see section 5.2.1 of our userguide for more information
on how to use this
(http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.9.html#x1-250005.2.1).

I think that you will also be happy to find that mvapich2 also
provides the same hydra (mpiexec) as mpich so that you can run your
mpich and mvapich2 jobs using the same process.  Section 5.2.2 of our
userguide provides a brief overview of this as well
(http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.9.html#x1-330005.2.2).

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Susan A. Schwarz
<Susan.A.Schwarz at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> I am running mvapich2 v1.9 on a CentOS 6.5 cluster with torque 4.2.6.1. I
> need to be able to be able to specify the number of processes per node when
> I start my mvapich program. If I was using mpich and starting my program
> with mpirun or mpiexec,  I would use the "-ppn" option.  I don't see any
> arguments similar to that when I use mpirun_rsh to start my mvapich program.
>
> We used to use the OSU mpiexec v0.84  before we upgraded our cluster to use
> Centos 6.5 and torque 4.2.6.1 but now I can't get my mvapich2 programs to
> launch with mpiexec so I can't take advantage of the "-npernode" option. I
> get a fatal error in MPI_Init when I launch my mvapich2 program with
> mpiexec.
>
> Is there a way to start my mvapich program and specify the number of
> processes per node.
>
> thank you,
> Susan Schwarz
> Research Computing