[mvapich-discuss] regarding hybrid MPI/pthread and RDMA

Krishna Kandalla kandalla at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Mar 26 15:48:08 EDT 2012

Hi Sandeep,
        If you are not issuing MPI operations from inside the omp regions,
the thread-level should not matter. However, if the openmp threads are
calling MPI functions, you could request for MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE  through
the MPI_Init_thread call. You do not have to use any config-time options to
enable the multi-threading support.
        Could you please let us know more about the MVAPICH2 version that
you are currently using?  We generally recommend users to disable CPU
affinity for the MPI + Openmp applications (
http://mvapich/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.8rc1.html#x1-1040009.1.3).
However, if you could upgrade to our latest MVAPICH2 1.8rc1 release, we
have improved our CPU affinity support by introducing different binding
levels that are specifically geared towards hybrid cases (
http://mvapich/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.8rc1.html#x1-530006.3.1).

> And lastly with respect to mvapich how do I go about performing RDMA style
> communication. Is it the MPI_Put and MPI_get set of collectives?

         MVAPICH2 already uses RDMA-based communication. Please let us know
if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Krishna
(http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~kandalla)