[mvapich-discuss] regarding hybrid MPI/pthread and RDMA

Sandeep Gupta gupta.sandeep at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 16:52:12 EDT 2012

Hi Krishna,
 I am using mvapich2/1.8a. I believe  in our machine MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE is
not enabled. I guess we would have recompile to enable multi-threading
support.
I  am little bit confused about the RDMA. If its not much trouble could you
please clarify.  Consider two threads A and B (in different mpi processes).
Thread A posts a asynchronous send  (MPI_Isend) while
thread B  recieves the message using (MPI_Irecv).  Is RDMA invoked in this
scenario?.  This maybe  a trivial question but what is the benefit  (in
terms of number of copies) and trade-offs of using RDMA in mvapich2.

You have already answered the important ones. These are just out of
curiosity and helping me understand and design my algorithm.

Thanks
Sandeep