[mvapich-discuss] use of parallel ib and ethernet interfaces

Michael E. Thomadakis miket at tamu.edu
Tue Feb 1 12:32:21 EST 2011

On 02/01/11 10:53, Sayantan Sur wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, David Minor<David.Minor at orbotech.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a cluster with parallel 1G ethernet and IB interfaces.  How can I
>> configure/run mvapich2 so that I can switch between them for testing
>> purposes?  Also, how do you configure/run on a cluster with mixed eth/ib
>> nodes?
>>
>> I'm a newbie to mvapich2, I've been using Intel MPI which does the interface
>> selection automatically or allows you to specify which interface you're
>> going to use with an environment variable.  I'm still using mpdboot and
>> mpiexec,
>>
>> I already have mvapich up and running over ib only.
>>
> Currently, we do not support multiple network interfaces within the
> same binary. Please refer to the user guide to configure your
> installation to use TCP/IP. You will also need to compile the
> application binary separately (i.e. have two binaries - one for 1G
> ethernet and another for IB).
>
> http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.6rc2.html#x1-150004.9
>
> Thanks.

Can the MVAPICH2 stack get built to be able to support ALL available
networking I/Fs so that we can built different MPI binaries to use a
different I/F for each binary ?

In case this is possible, which options should I enable to at config
time to that? Also when I build an MPI binary on MVAPICH2 how do I
select which I/F to use for the underlying MPI transport ?

>> Regards,
>>
>> David

thanks ...

Michael