[mvapich-discuss] use of parallel ib and ethernet interfaces

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 1 13:24:15 EST 2011

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Michael E. Thomadakis <miket at tamu.edu> wrote:
> On 02/01/11 10:53, Sayantan Sur wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, David Minor<David.Minor at orbotech.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a cluster with parallel 1G ethernet and IB interfaces.  How can I
>>> configure/run mvapich2 so that I can switch between them for testing
>>> purposes?  Also, how do you configure/run on a cluster with mixed eth/ib
>>> nodes?
>>>
>>> I'm a newbie to mvapich2, I've been using Intel MPI which does the
>>> interface
>>> selection automatically or allows you to specify which interface you're
>>> going to use with an environment variable.  I'm still using mpdboot and
>>> mpiexec,
>>>
>>> I already have mvapich up and running over ib only.
>>>
>> Currently, we do not support multiple network interfaces within the
>> same binary. Please refer to the user guide to configure your
>> installation to use TCP/IP. You will also need to compile the
>> application binary separately (i.e. have two binaries - one for 1G
>> ethernet and another for IB).
>>

>> http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.6rc2.html#x1-150004.9
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Can the MVAPICH2 stack get built to be able to support ALL available
> networking I/Fs so that we can built different MPI binaries to use a
> different I/F for each binary ?
>
> In case this is possible, which options should I enable to at config time to
> that? Also when I build an MPI binary on MVAPICH2 how do I select which I/F
> to use for the underlying MPI transport ?

I think you can currently achieve this by writing a little wrapper
script around the MPI build process. For each interface that you have
on the machine, you can build a different version of MVAPICH2. Please
look at sections 4.4 - 4.10 in the user guide as to how to configure
MVAPICH2 for each given supported configuration.

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.6rc2.html#x1-50004

Then, you can keep these MPI builds in different directory and use the
right mpicc for target interface.

In the future, we may look into providing support for multiple
interfaces simultaneously (through same binary). However, the MPICH2
framework currently does not support this.

Thanks.