[mvapich-discuss] use of parallel ib and ethernet interfaces

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 1 11:53:40 EST 2011

Hi David,

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM, David Minor <David.Minor at orbotech.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a cluster with parallel 1G ethernet and IB interfaces.  How can I
> configure/run mvapich2 so that I can switch between them for testing
> purposes?  Also, how do you configure/run on a cluster with mixed eth/ib
> nodes?
>
> I'm a newbie to mvapich2, I've been using Intel MPI which does the interface
> selection automatically or allows you to specify which interface you're
> going to use with an environment variable.  I'm still using mpdboot and
> mpiexec,
>
> I already have mvapich up and running over ib only.

Currently, we do not support multiple network interfaces within the
same binary. Please refer to the user guide to configure your
installation to use TCP/IP. You will also need to compile the
application binary separately (i.e. have two binaries - one for 1G
ethernet and another for IB).

http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/user_guide_mvapich2-1.6rc2.html#x1-150004.9

Thanks.