[mvapich-discuss] MPIRUN_RSH binary not getting created on a new installation

Diaz, DavidA (Plymouth) DavidA.Diaz at atk.com
Tue Apr 19 15:14:41 EDT 2011

Hello: I am new to MVAPICH, and I am trying to do a new installation of mvapich-1.2rc1 on a SUSE 10 SP3 Linux Cluster.

When I do the configure, the installer is trying to test for rsh from the head (front) node to the compute nodes, and it fails.  It also tests for ssh aswell and gets a prompt for a password and also fails.  I know that your installation instructions say that either rsh or ssh (without password prompts) access from the head node to the remote nodes should be employed.

My question is that since I don't have the rsh enabled and ssh requires a password, would this prohibit the compilation of the mpirun_rsh binary?  I am trying to find this important binary in the mvapich-1.2rc1/bin directory, and the configure, and make commands don't create this binary.  All other binaries seem to be created just fine.

Thank you for your help,

David A. Diaz
Systems Administrator
Minneapolis, MN