[mvapich-discuss] Re: MVAPICH2 compiler wrappers

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 24 18:49:24 EDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 06:55 PM, Pavan Balaji wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 05:51 PM, Adam T. Moody wrote:
>> I suppose this work could be propogated up to the MPICH level, so I CC'd
>> Pavan.
>
> The correct fix for this requires shared library versioning for each
> library and dependencies between them. We are in fact working on that
> within MPICH2 right now. But the code changes are intrusive enough that
> it's not going to be a simple patch for MVAPICH2 to just apply; they'll
> likely need to upgrade to mpich2-1.3 to get that. But this addition will
> be in soon. You can see and decide.

Support for this has been added to MPICH2 as of r7086 (including a bunch
of patches prior to it). Currently we have no plans for porting this
feature to the MPICH2-1.2.x series.

Also, note that this feature is experimental and has not been enabled by
default (you'll need to use the configure option --enable-lib-depend for
it). This is because of the lack of portability of inter-library
dependencies and other issues with it. Here's some information that you
might find interesting: http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/deplibs.html

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji