[mvapich-discuss] Bug in MVAPICH2 SVN Trunk Configure Script

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Sep 25 19:08:38 EDT 2008

>> Specifically, line 1370 reads:
>>
>>     F90FLAGS="$MPICH2_INTERNAL_C90FLAGS"
>>
>> I believe this should instead be:
>>
>>     F90FLAGS="$MPICH2_INTERNAL_F90FLAGS"
>
> Thanks Tom, this looks like it can be problematic.  Thanks for reporting
> it we'll take a look and incorporate this change.

This was a bug in MPICH2 that was fixed in r1000 shortly after the 1.0.7
release. But, this error should only mean that the Fortran bindings are
not compiled with the internal optimizations; so there shouldn't be any
noticeable performance impact.

>> # If it is building with MPICH2, set xFLAGS to null, as mpiXX contains
>> xFLAGS.
>> if test "$FROM_MPICH2" = "yes" ; then
>>     CFLAGS=""
>>     CXXFLAGS=""
>>     FFLAGS=""
>>     F90FLAGS=""
>> fi
>>
>> If I comment this out, the configure step completes successfully.
>
> We'll also take a look at this.  We may still need to reset these flags
> but maybe it should still include various 'internal' flags that the user
> has specified.

The CFLAGS will be included within mpicc; they won't show up externally.
You can check this using mpicc -show. Is this not what you noticed?

What exact CFLAGS and MPICH2LIB_CFLAGS did you use? Note that these are
are exclusive. CFLAGS sets flags that are used to compile
MPICH2/MVAPICH2 as well as show up in mpicc. MPICH2LIB_CFLAGS only sets
flags that are used to compile MPICH2/MVAPICH2.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji