[mvapich-discuss] Upgrade of MVAPICH -> recompile all apps??

Pawel Dziekonski pawel.dziekonski at wcss.pl
Tue Sep 9 14:26:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 at 11:09:58AM -0400, Dhabaleswar Panda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > currently we are using MVAPICH 0.9.9 from OFED 1.2.5.5. We would
> > like to upgrade OFED to latest release. THis would be probably
> > OFED 1.3.2, together with integrated MVAPICH mvapich-1.0.1-2533.
> >
> > Question: do we have to recompile all our applications against new
> > MVAPICH?
>
> In the latest MVAPICH 1.0 series (including 1.0.1), a new scalable
> job start-up scheme has been introduced. There have been also
> multiple other enhancements since 0.9.9. Thus, it will be good to
> recompile all your applications to take advantage of these latest
> features and enhancements.

painful but OK. :)

currently, we use mpiexec as a job start-up mechanism. also because of
good integration with PBS Pro batch queueing system.

would it be a good time to switch to MVAPICH2? what is your and list
suggestion?

> Also, there is no OFED 1.3.2. I believe you are referring to OFED 1.3.1?

You are correct - I meant daily build from
http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/OFED/ofed-1.3.2-daily/
anyway, OFED 1.3.1 also contains mvapich-1.0.1-2533.

thanks for all replies!
Pawel
--
Pawel Dziekonski <pawel.dziekonski at wcss.pl>
Wroclaw Centre for Networking & Supercomputing, HPC Department