[mvapich-discuss] Upgrade of MVAPICH -> recompile all apps??

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 10 17:10:35 EDT 2008

> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 at 11:09:58AM -0400, Dhabaleswar Panda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > currently we are using MVAPICH 0.9.9 from OFED 1.2.5.5. We would
> > > like to upgrade OFED to latest release. THis would be probably
> > > OFED 1.3.2, together with integrated MVAPICH mvapich-1.0.1-2533.
> > >
> > > Question: do we have to recompile all our applications against new
> > > MVAPICH?
> >
> > In the latest MVAPICH 1.0 series (including 1.0.1), a new scalable
> > job start-up scheme has been introduced. There have been also
> > multiple other enhancements since 0.9.9. Thus, it will be good to
> > recompile all your applications to take advantage of these latest
> > features and enhancements.
>
> painful but OK. :)

You can also try to build MPI library with `shared library' feature.
This will avoid the need to recompile your applications. Both MVAPICH and
MVAPICH2 have these features.

> currently, we use mpiexec as a job start-up mechanism. also because of
> good integration with PBS Pro batch queueing system.
>
> would it be a good time to switch to MVAPICH2? what is your and list
> suggestion?

Since MVAPICH2 has more features and functionalities, we have been
suggesting users to migrate to MVAPICH2.

At many places, both MVAPICH and MVAPICH2 are being installed on the same
system so that the users can easily switch between these two libraries.
This helps the users to test their applications with MVAPICH2 and
gradually move to MVAPICH2. Depending on the requirements from your users,
you may consider this option.

> > Also, there is no OFED 1.3.2. I believe you are referring to OFED 1.3.1?
>
> You are correct - I meant daily build from
> http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/OFED/ofed-1.3.2-daily/
> anyway, OFED 1.3.1 also contains mvapich-1.0.1-2533.

Yes, you can use this. It is not a formal release yet. Once your OFED
libraries are installed, you can also download the latest MVAPICH and
MVAPICH2 released versions from the OSU site and install these. They will
work.

Thanks,

DK