MCLC: Films about migrants in Guangdong (10-12)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 8 09:25:03 EST 2016

MCLC LIST
Films about migrants in Guangdong (10-12)
Ai Xiaoming's 開往家鄉的列車/The Train To My Home Town documents the botched handling of migrant workers stuck at the Guangzhou Train Station on the eve of New Years' in 2008. As with all of her films, very powerful.
The link can be found here:
http://youtu.be/LK79kMqLP08
Kevin Carrico <kjc83 at cornell.edu>
If your student is interested in doc films, Dreamwork China is about migrant workers in Shenzhen and the PRD more broadly, and focuses on interviews as well as a portrait of migrant rights advocacy efforts by two Italian scholar-filmmakers (Facchin and Francheschini). Their photography and multi-media work in conjunction with the film is quite good too:
http://www.dreamworkchina.tv/en/
Jenny Chio <jenny.chio at emory.edu>
As far as I remember the documentary 寻爱 (Manufacturing Romance) by Chai Hongfang (2015) is about migrant workers in Shenzhen, too.
Gabriele Schneider <schneider at babilun.de>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 8, 2016