MCLC: Why translations of premodern poetry are having their moment (6)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 28 09:35:16 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Why translations of premodern poetry are having their moment (6)
Thoughts in Spring By Du Fu
The nation ruined, mountains and rivers remain,
In spring, the city overgrown with plants.
Stirred by the times, flowers seem to weep,
Birds startle my heart saddened by parting.
Wars continued for three months,
A letter from home worth loads of gold.
I scratch my white hair thin.[i].
It won’t hold a pin.
Tr. by Lily Lee <l.lee at sydney.edu.au>
[i] The Chinese original says short, I take the liberty to change it to thin.
by denton.2 at osu.edu on July 28, 2016