MCLC: Why translations of premodern poetry are having their moment (5)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 28 09:33:41 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Why translations of premodern poetry are having their moment (5)
I saw that you were on the look out for translations of 春望 so I thought I would send you mine. It was one of three translations I made during the dreadful months after 911 when I felt like Du Fu after the fall of Chang-An. Raritan was kind enough to publish it. Here is the link:
Steven Bradbury <stevenedgarbradbury at yahoo.com>
Three Poems from the Chinese of Du Fu (Translation) | Raritan
Spring Prospects
Nations fall but hills and streams remain.
Again the spring asserts its reign within
This citadel where petals spatter tears
And birds take fright for our afflicted age.
The beacon fires have burned three months on end,
And news from home is well nigh worth a fortune.
I’ve scratched my grizzled head so often
My hair’s too thin to hold my hatpin in.
by denton.2 at osu.edu on July 28, 2016