MCLC: Bridge of Spies and the limits of Chinese cinema (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 7 10:11:57 EST 2016

MCLC LIST
Bridge of Spies and the limits of Chinese cinema (1)
I've received quite a few comments offline on my piece using Bridge of Spies to channel my frustration with the tightened grip by both the state and the market on Chinese cinema. Thanks to those who wrote to me!
Needless to say that I've been an ardent follower of Chinese cinema, having built my own career cheering for it the past two decades. Championing for Hollywood commercial cinema is every bit against my ingrained academic (i.e. elitist) training with a penchant for European art cinema and edgy American independent films or other non-Hollywood films. Alas recent Chinese films out of PRC have drifted farther apart from art or independence or good old stories of Hollywood fashion...
In the spirit of recommending good movies, the British film 45 Years featuring Charolette Rampling & Tom Courtenay and the US film The Big Short with a director of SNL pedigree are a must see!!!
Happy New Years,
Ying Zhu <yingzhu95014 at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on January 7, 2016