MCLC: Xi vs the Pope (3)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 29 12:37:33 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Xi vs the Pope (3)
Really, "jackals" and "terrorists"?
I am not fully convinced. The PRC state is perfectly aware of the symbolic and religious importance of the papacy, and has so far resisted establishing formal ties with the Vatican (other obstacles aside). They are even more clearly aware of the growing strength and presence of the still illegal yet tolerated underground Catholic churches throughout China. So, while they dismiss the leaders of the Eastern Turkic Independence movement as "terrorists," I doubt that they still entertain similar dismissive  attitude toward or perception of the Papacy. Perhaps a more useful way of looking at the CCP's decision to go ahead with the visit is to look at how "secularized" Xi and the PRC state have become, and how their entrenched Marxists or Maoist secularist view about both the Pope and the Chinese people has led them to their confidence and therefore the decision to go ahead with the clashing schedule.
BTW, I find the report's characterization of the Vatican as possession no economic wealth somewhat dishonest and far-fetched from both Chinese public perception of the Church, and the reality.
A final point and I will stop: despite what the article describes as Xi and his government's intentions, China is not entirely insulated from the rest of the world: they are aware of the sharp contrast between the Pope and Xi's respective public receptions in the US. But the question is really: do they or most of them really care that much about the sharp contrast?
Thank you!
Xun LIU <xmgnyz at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on September 29, 2015