MCLC: Suggested readings on Chinese Dream (4,5)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 17 10:50:34 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Suggested readings on Chinese Dream (4,5)
William Callahan's book China Dreams is a great overview of all of the different types of "dreams" happening within and beyond the China Dream formula:
http://www.amazon.com/China-Dreams-20-Visions-Future/dp/0190235233
I always use it in my contemporary China courses and students really enjoy it, as it touches upon some lively and unexpected debates in Chinese academia and pop culture.
It also comes along with a short video of interviews on the idea of the China Dream.
https://vimeo.com/80820310
Kevin Carrico <kjc83 at cornell.edu>
My book, China Dreams (OUP, 2013), looks at how people in different sectors/settings have been talking about the China Dream for the past few years.
then I did an 11 minute video about how different people in China understand it after it became official: 'China Dreams: The Debate' (2014)
https://vimeo.com/80820310
and an article on Xi's China Dream (2014), which is posted online:
http://www.theasanforum.org/what-can-the-china-dream-do-in-the-prc/
Best wishes,
Bill Callahan, LSE
by denton.2 at osu.edu on September 17, 2015