MCLC: Nathan rebuts Bell (3,4)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 28 09:42:48 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Nathan rebuts Bell (3,4)
Not just scholars but many of the exiled student protest leaders too. I got sent from Beijing to Princeton to cover this Initiative after the massacre, and my parents donated their car. This of course was great credit to Perry Link, who's sadly since parted ways with Princeton. As you say Kevin, the times they are a-changin', but Princeton is a big place and some of those exile scholars are still there. Sad this article couldn't spell 蘇曉康/Su Xiaokang's name correctly.
Scott Savitt <scottsavitt at gmail.com>
Thanks, yes, Princeton is of course still a wonderful school, with a number of wonderful scholars, and I hope I didn't paint that one school with too broad a brush- I just tend to see it as a little embarrassing to have a Princeton China series edited by Bell! The series is more useful for reading Beijing's own self-description than for any insights about China today.
I really meant to highlight what I see as a sea-change in academia as a whole- can any university envision enacting something like the Princeton China Initiative today? A law school providing refuge to lawyers suffering from the current crackdown? And if not, why?
Even NYU's support for Chen Guangcheng was brief and ended seemingly quite awkwardly.
Kevin Carrico <kevin.carrico at ou.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 28, 2015