MCLC: The Challenge of Linear Time review (2)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed May 20 09:30:29 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
The Challenge of Linear Time review (2)
Thanks to Professor Karl for calling attention to Professor Fogel’s review of The Challenge of Linear Time, which I had missed when it first came out on MCLC. Although Professor Fogel’s reflections on Marxism may stray outside the scope of a book review, I am struck by the scrupulous precision with which he quotes passages from the essays and explains what he finds unsatisfactory about them. His words sometimes sting, but I would characterize his tone as one of vigorous disputation enlivened with Menckenesque satire. This is refreshing. I would certainly not call it “viciously unsavory,” as Professor Karl does. I found the review informative, stimulating, and entertaining.
I would not have read the review if Professor Karl had not attacked it. Likewise, readers of various persuasions may become curious about the book as a result of the review. I’ll take vigorous disputation over soporific collegiality any day.
A. E. Clark <aec at raggedbanner.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on May 20, 2015