MCLC: Films on Chinese in Myanmar

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 16 09:49:15 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Films on Chinese in Myanmar
The recent incident on Friday of a Myanmar airstrike killing four farmers in China entices me to provide some links to resources related to Chinese-Burmese relations that might be of interest to the MCLC community.   Asia Society’s New York headquarters recently had a very interesting film series of the Burmese-Taiwanese director Midi Z’s (趙德胤) three feature films; they provide a fascinating insider’s perspective of Han Chinese communities living in Myanmar. There are online interviews with the director and also the actress, Wu Ke-Xi (吳可熙), as well as two post-screening Q&A sessions posted on Asia Society’s website here.   Discussions with Asia Society’s film curator, La Francis Hui, brought to my attention a film unknown to me by Taiwanese director Zhu Yanping (朱延平) about KMT soldiers who were “left behind” in Burma at the end of the Civil War called 異域 (Yiyu); this film is available to watch on Youtube for anyone interested here.
Kevin Lawrence <kglnyc at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 16, 2015