MCLC: Under the Dome doc on air pollution (4)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 9 10:02:17 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Under the Dome doc on air pollution (4)
I’d like to know how the ballpark figure “more than a hundred million” viewings of the film is reached. More than a hundred million basically implies a large number of people have watched it and/or downloaded copies on their computers/devices.
Is this news surprising? It is also interesting that the government’s decision to take down the doc is news. Perhaps a discussion of reaction time is more appropriate. Why the delay? Was there a discussion in the administration about this doc? Perhaps some disagreement about whether to take it down? What is the process that takes place before such a decision is reached?
But really, the doc is data. Such an “object” hardly needs an online website or platform to circulate. The doc is part of media history now. No firewall can delete every copy circulated and transferred through servers and in USB sticks.
Really, if those that wanted to stream it in the last few days haven’t, I am sure they can still see it somehow.
As to the the horrific global problem of environmental degradation since WWII, Rebecca Solnit’s “War of the World” in the February “Harper’s” is worth a look.
We are all part of this mess. Even if Beijing takes down one doc, I do not believe any government can afford to turn a blind eye to the living space of its citizens. And Beijing is not the only government with this responsibility.
Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 9, 2015