MCLC: Wang Meng and Uyghur language (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 4 10:41:06 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Wang Meng and Uyghur language (1)
Dear all,
Wang Meng was in Xinjiang for about 20 years until his rehabilitation. I am not sure how well he spoke Uighur, but he definitely translated Uighur works into Chinese (without his –at the time black – name being mentioned in the translation). This is based on personal communication from him. I have not checked up on the titles. My hunch is that he could communicate orally in Uighur and had a passive knowledge of the written language. It might be of relevancy that in his advanced age he actually acquired enough English to be able to give lectures in this language (here at Harvard in fact).
Best,
Rudolf Wagner <wagner at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 4, 2015