MCLC: Bian Baimei diaries

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 17 09:19:55 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Bian Baimei diaries
We still have some copies of the following four-volume work in simplified characters available to interested scholars and libraries:
《卞白眉日记》卞白眉, (1884-1968) 方兆麟, ed. 天津: 天津古籍出版社, 2008.
An accompanying CD is also available. For further information on Bian Baimei, see:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/8226655.htm
Professor Brett Sheehan, in Trust in Troubled Times (Harvard University Press, 2003), names Bian one of the early architects of the Chinese banking system.
Professor of History Sherman Cochran of Cornell University commented “[after a] first serious look at the diaries…I am very impressed by the scale and density of their contents and the handsome appearance of their font and format.”
W. South Coblin, Professor Emeritus of Classical Chinese at the University of Iowa, wrote:  ”It’s a very interesting book. Of course, historians will get the most from it, since they can look up particular dates and see what was said about concurrent events. But simply as an exemplar of elegant literary writing it is enjoyable to read around in. Not many people can write like that anymore. ”
If you would like a copy of this publication, please let me know by return e-mail.  It will be sent to you entirely free of charge.
Gloria Bien
Professor of Chinese
Colgate University
Hamilton, NY 13346