MCLC: No room for western values in university education (11)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 11 09:55:51 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
No room for western values in university education (11)
I’d like to thank Professor Wang for his translation as well. Personally I’ve always believed the question of “mainstream thought” or the “mainstream system” (zhuliu tizhi 主流体制) is not a problem for one society or one nation. Inquiry is often determined by the place where the question emerges.
Not to belabor the issue but the format for Mr. Cai’s talk is worth mentioning. 听君一席话 does bear some superficial resemblance to TED, and while I do not want to sound dismissive, I have found the TED “inspiration for sake of inspiration” a bit self-conscious. The content and rhetoric of these talks seem to partially emerge from the format they are delivered in. Dead Poet’s Society included.
But with regard to the Western values thing, I admit maybe I’m reacting to such talk with a Westerner’s hang-up in this case.On the other hand, I can certainly appreciate a critique of Western culture. I feel it’s part of my project as an “Western intellectual.” But when a critique of Western culture becomes a transparent use of the concept of critique for political purposes, well, I guess I just do not like empty critique for the sake of fulfilling some residual political format.
All the best,
Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on February 11, 2015