MCLC: Why Haven't You Been Banned Yet

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 17 09:58:30 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Why Haven’t You Been Banned Yet
I just contributed a post with the above title to the Los Angeles Review of Books, and given the fact that it deals with visas to China, as well as varied contexts in which self-censorship can become an issue--and not just where Chinese political constraints are involved--I thought it might be of interest to this list.  Here's the link: http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/provocations/arent-banned-yet/.  Spoiler alert: the main incident of pulling my punches with an eye toward avoiding possible repercussions I describe in the piece is what that involved worrying about how American, not Chinese readers, might respond to a comparison between the two countries I wanted to make in print...
Jeff Wasserstrom <jwassers at uci.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on December 17, 2015