MCLC: The Business of Culture

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 6 09:44:52 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
The Business of Culture
I am pleased to announce the publication of a book that Nicolai Volland and I co-edited, and which we co-authored with Chua Ai Lin, Robert Culp, Grace Fong, Michael Gibbs Hill, Eugenia Lean, Christopher A. Reed, Sin Yee Theng, and Sai-Shing Yung:
THE BUSINESS OF CULTURE:
CULTURAL ENTREPRENEURS IN CHINA AND SOUTHEAST ASIA, 1900-65
Edited by Christopher Rea and Nicolai Volland
Foreword by Wang Gungwu
Vancouver: UBC Press, 2015
http://www.ubcpress.ca/search/title_book.asp?BookID=299174511
Readers in Asia can order from the co-publisher, Hong Kong University Press:
http://www.hkupress.org/Common/Reader/Products/ShowProduct.jsp?Pid=1&Version=0&Cid=10&Charset=iso-8859-1&page=-1&idx=8
A paperback edition is available from both publishers.
Publisher's description:
>From the late nineteenth- to the mid-twentieth century, changes in mass media, transportation, and communication technologies provided unprecedented opportunities for the entrepreneurially minded in China and Southeast Asia.
The Business of Culture examines the rise of these "cultural entrepreneurs," Chinese business people who risked financial well-being and reputation by investing in multiple enterprises to build cultural, social, or financial capital. Featuring ten interlinked case studies, this volume introduces readers to three distinct archetypes who emerged during this time: the cultural personality, the tycoon, and collective enterprise. These include the likes of Lü Bicheng, a famous classical poet, who parlayed her literary prestige into a career as the principal of a Beijing girls’ school and then used her business fortune to build a high-profile persona as a glamorous foreign correspondent; Aw Boon Haw, the "tiger" behind the Tiger Brand pharmaceutical company; and the Shaw Brothers, ethnic Chinese filmmakers and exhibitors who drew thousands of people out each night to watch movies in Singapore and British Malaya.
Collectively, these portraits reveal how changes in social and economic conditions created the fertile soil for business success; conditions that are similar to those emerging in China today.
Table of Contents:
Foreword
by Wang Gungwu
Introduction / Christopher Rea and Nicolai Volland
1 Enter the Cultural Entrepreneur / Christopher Rea
Part 1: Cultural Personalities
2 Between the Literata and the New Woman: Lü Bicheng as Cultural Entrepreneur / Grace Fong
3 The Butterfly Mark: Chen Diexian, His Brand, and Cultural Entrepreneurism in Republican China / Eugenia Lean
4 Culture by Post: Correspondence Schools in Early Republican China / Michael Gibbs Hill
Part 2: Tycoons
5 Aw Boon Haw, the Tiger from Nanyang: Social Entrepreneurship, Transregional Journalism, and Public Culture / Sin Yee Theng and Nicolai Volland
6 One Chicken, Three Dishes: The Cultural Enterprises of Law Bun / Sai-Shing Yung and Christopher Rea
Part 3: Collective Enterprises
7 Local Entrepreneurs, Transnational Networks: Publishing Markets and Cantonese Communities within and across National Borders / Robert Culp
8 Cultural Consumption and Cosmopolitan Connections: Chinese Cinema Entrepreneurs in 1920s and 1930s Singapore / Chua Ai Lin
9 Cultural Entrepreneurship in the Twilight: The Shanghai Book Trade Association, 1945-57 / Nicolai Volland
Epilogue: Beyond the Age of Cultural Entrepreneurship, 1949-Present / Christopher A. Reed and Nicolai Volland
Glossary
Bibliography
List of Contributors
Christopher Rea <leiqinfeng at gmail.com>