MCLC: more on Gao Yu's sentence (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 22 09:58:35 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
more on Gao Yu’s sentence (1)
Back in 2013, when I shared the news from Weibo on the “seven silences” (七個不要講- my alliterative translation that never quite caught on), now closely linked to Document No. 9, some colleagues dismissively suggested that I (among others) was turning MCLC into a site to share “rumors.”
I wish that was the case. Unfortunately, Document No. 9 and its listing of forbidden topics have now long since been confirmed through various channels, including the arbitrary imprisonment of journalist Gao Yu. As is so often the case, these are not rumors–in my opinion, no one could make this kind of stuff up.
Hopefully those once so outraged at the distribution of supposed “rumors” on MCLC might feel a similar sense of outrage at the outrageous treatment of Gao Yu, a 71 year old journalist currently serving a seven year sentence solely on account of her determination to help people better understand the full complexity of contemporary China.
Kevin Carrico <kjc83 at cornell.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on April 22, 2015