MCLC: Chinese poetic voices from the lower tier of society (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 28 09:52:22 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
Chinese poetic voices from the lower tier of society (1)
As one of the jury members of this prize, I have to say that the NYT article, naturally, focuses largely on the social identity and social environment of the poets, which can get more exposure than the texts (though there is a quote from last year’s winner). Jiang Hao, the top winner this year and a freelancer spending most of his time looking after his baby at home, loses attention in this article. Our final judgment, however, depends ONLY on the poetic creativity and quality of their works, including, of course, how the sociopolitical dimension is uniquely expressed WITHIN the poems. Interestingly, the article on the same topic from People’s Daily offers a similar perspective. This is a good way to publicize the prize but I just hope that the literary aspect can gain enough attention.
YANG Xiaobin
Academia Sinica
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 28, 2014