MCLC: The Golden Age (10,11,12)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 18 10:29:50 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
The Golden Age (10,11,12)
Tony Rayns is credited with the English subtitles for THE GOLDEN ERA.
Shelly Kraicer
Together with my colleague Maria Gottardo, a literary translator, I had the chance to work at the Italian subtitles.
This was in view of the world premiere of the The Golden Era at the 71st Venice Film Festival, at which Ann Hui’s film featured as the closing title.
We based our translation upon the Chinese dialogue list and we worked on it for an unusually long time. At that stage, the English subtitles were the ones provided by the HK production. I am not sure whether they have been reworked later on. The most difficult task was to keep the balance between the flow of the spoken narrative, the literary quotations and the intertwining of dialogues and voice-over comments. This also accounts for the complexity of the film and its challenging aesthetics. After having closely followed its making and having seen it a few times, I believe there is much more in it than a treatment of literary characters and female voices.
Indeed, the subtitles proved to be truly crucial in engaging (or not engaging) the audience. Despite its duration and the fact that none of the characters was known to the majority of the Venice festival audience, The Golden Era was quite well received, even by the general audience that usually attends the closing screening.
Elena Pollacchi <elena.pollacchi at labiennale.org>
IMDb seems to tell you the closest location that screens this film.
For Virginia it says “Regal Rockville Center Stadium 13,” in Rockville, MD. The website of the movie theatre confirms this. Will be playing there through Thursday.
Best,
Hongmei Sun
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 18, 2014