MCLC: Xi taps into classics (3)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:21:26 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
Xi taps into classics (3)
About the word “大大”, I am very sure that it has nothing to do with the Shaanxi dialect. It is a word majorly used online, and dates back to at latest the 1990s. Usually, people with special talent (e.g. fiction writing, painting), who post their works online, are respectfully addressed by their fans as “大人,” nickname-fied as “大大.” Currently “大大” means people with talent, with special knowledge or have some privilege in a fandom, etc.; sometimes it is used respectfully, sometimes mockingly. But most of all, it does not mean “Daddy,” or any male family members.
Another evidence that “大大” has nothing to do with the Shaanxi dialect is: the word is used in many dialects, not only Shaanxi dialect; the meaning varies. If it is to be understood as a dialect word, it may cause misunderstanding.
Besides, it is a piece of insider knowledge. As an insider of the online community, I know where it comes from. And I think the reason that the government propaganda accepts this word is exactly to cater to the taste of the young netizen community.
Xiqing Zheng 郑熙青

by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 17, 2014