MCLC: The Golden Age (6,7)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 16 12:11:05 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
The Golden Age (6,7)
I’ll be writing a review of the film, quite positive too. I urge anyone near one of China Lion’s limited screenings (I think it’s New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, and Vancouver only?) to see the film.
Though there are screenplay issues (I’ve never been that fond of films made from any of Li Qiang’s scripts), I think what Hui does with the film is quite wonderful. On a macro level, it’s an attempt to depict a literary community (especially Harbin’s, which I wasn’t aware of) through texts, voiceovers, and multiple points of view.
But it’s on a micro level that the film shines: Hui is brilliant at depicting worlds of meaning and feeling through tiny (what might be called “domestic” if it weren’t condescending) gestures, especially between the women characters (especially Xiao Hong, Ding Ling, and Lu Xun’s wife Xu Guangping). In fact, I think that’s what my review will focus on, how Hui sets what is conventionally called domestic “female” space beside and against World-Historical “male” space, and how she expands the former to balance the conventional domination of the latter. Something like that.
cheers,
Shelly Kraicer
There is also a screening at UCLA on 10/22
http://www.tft.ucla.edu/event/the-golden-era-china-2014/
Clara Iwasaki
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 16, 2014