MCLC: Crazy Crab's Chinese Dream

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed May 14 09:29:25 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Anne Henochowicz <anne at chinadigitaltimes.net>
Subject: Crazy Crab's Chinese Dream

Source China Digital Times (5/12/14):
http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2014/05/cdt-ebook-crazy-crabs-chinese-dream-ca
rtoons/

China Digital Times eBook: Crazy Crab’s Chinese Dream in Cartoons

Hexie Farm (蟹农场) is the name of a series of political cartoons created by
an anonymous Chinese cartoonist under the pen name Crazy Crab (疯蟹). His
drawings quickly gained a large following online for their unique blend of
satire, wit, and razor-sharp commentary on current events in China and
beyond. Crazy Crab uses visual references to traditional fairy tales,
George Orwell, and political propaganda slogans to critique China’s
leadership.

Crazy Crab’s Chinese Dream: Political Cartoons 2012-2013 includes 40
images drawn exclusively for China Digital Times, with explanatory text
written by Executive Editor Sophie Beach and a Q&A with the cartoonist.

“I hope to make change, to draw something that we have never thought
about, or dared to draw, before,” Crazy Crab tells China Digital Times. “I
also want to use cartoons to…spread some question marks in the censorship
system.”

All cartoons in the eBook were drawn between February 2012 and September
2013, when Crazy Crab was a contributing cartoonist for China Digital
Times. His drawings covered a busy period in Chinese political history,
from the downfall of former Chongqing Party Chief Bo Xilai to the
transition of power from Hu Jintao to Xi Jinping.

Proceeds from the sale of this eBook will be shared with Crazy Crab and
China Digital Times.

In collaboration with Crazy Crab, CDT has also launched a line of t-shirts
and other merchandise featuring Hexie Farm artwork. To celebrate the
launch of the eBook, we are making a Special Offer: Receive a free copy of
the eBook with the purchase of any CDT T-shirt. Just email your receipt to
cdt at chinadigitaltimes.net and let us know if you prefer the ePub (Kindle,
iPad) or PDF version.

PURCHASE THE EBOOK AND MORE

Crazy Crab's Chinese Dream is available in PDF and from the Kindle,
iTunes, and Google Play stores.

PDF: http://bit.ly/HexiePDF
Kindle: http://bit.ly/HexieKindle
iTunes: http://bit.ly/HexieiTunes