MCLC: debate over Confucius Institutes (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 26 08:38:01 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: sean macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: debate over Confucius Institutes (2)

An excellent point. Actually, by this time it seems to me the whole
debate is heavily in the laps of the administrations of the
universities that solicit the programs. Perhaps the question is just a
variation on what Prof. Link asked: isn't it a question of money?
Isn't it because university administrators are looking for convenient
and cost effective ways to import curriculum? My memory is fuzzy, but
I recall hearing a librarian in Western Canada say that she had
contributed to a sort of module for Chinese library content that was
being used across North America. Anyone who has ever taught language
and culture classes knows that on the most basic level people with
expertise are needed to develop language and culture specific
programs. Remember that the state contributed to the creation of area
studies programs in the US during WWII, not just to satisfy the
exigencies of academic research, but for language and culture
"training," for military and civilian personnel.

The idea that Confucius Institutes are an expression of the culture
and politics of the nation that developed them is, well, just a tad
Obvious.

Sean