MCLC: help with project on peer rejections

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 10 08:02:42 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
From: Frances Weightman <F.Weightman at leeds.ac.uk>
Subject: help with project on peer rejections

Hello everyone,

A colleague of mine in Japanese studies has asked me to post the following
request for help in a new project looking at experiences of the peer
review process for journals, and specifically considering comparisons of
between scholars of different nationalities/different native languages
etc. etc. He would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks
Frances

*********************
Dear colleagues,

This is to invite you to take part in a research project which has
considerable implications for how scholars position their careers. The
project aims to establish how scholars react to rejection of their
articles by major journals. A preliminary survey of international scholars
indicates that there is considerable disquiet about the associated process
of peer evaluation and its outcomes.

Please take about 15 minutes to respond to our questionnaire, which you
can find under:

https://www.survey.leeds.ac.uk/peer_review_language/

The questionnaire has been designed in such a way that we have no access
to respondents, i.e. all answers are absolutely anonymous. However, on the
last page we are giving you the option of contacting us if you would like
to take part in an interview – in complete confidence, of course – about
your experiences.

We strongly believe that the survey results will be of great importance to
scholars as well as journal editors. Every response counts. Please let us
have yours.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sierk Horn.

University of Leeds, UK