MCLC: animated film about Mao (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 24 09:59:37 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: sean macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: animated film about Mao (1)

Thanks for posting this.

I can't wait. The budget does not seem overly extravagant. I find one
sentence very interesting: "The move breaks a decades-long taboo on
depicting political leaders in animated form." Animated form, I suppose,
differentiates cel or digital animated imagery from, say, the black
outlined, brightly colored, stylized figures of propaganda posters?

The overall design of this character seems to resemble a comic book
published in 1949, called 少年毛泽东 (Young Mao Zedong)。This attempt to
make a
hip, updated Mao is interesting. Who knows, maybe anime fans in the PRC
will really go for a Shonen Mao. But they should give him some really cool
powers.

Sean