MCLC: screening of Shanghai Old and New

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 4 09:03:42 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: screening of Shanghai Old and New

I previously announced the Hong Shen 洪深 project here at Ohio State
University (OSU). It celebrates the dramatist and filmmaker Hong Shen, who
began his artistic career at OSU, where he studied from 1916 to 1919.
While at OSU, Hong Shen wrote and produced two English-language plays, one
of which, The Wedded Husband, is being revived in a new student production
(Nov. 16/17). For ticket information, see

http://www.ticketmaster.com/OSU-Roy-Bowen-Theatre-Drake-Union-tickets-Colum
bus/venue/41044

This week will see the kickoff event, a screening of Shanghai Old and New
(新旧上海; 1936). Hong Shen was a prolific screenwriter, working mostly with
the Mingxing Film Company. As part of the Hong Shen activities, we will be
screening on Nov. 7 a newly-subtitled (by OSU doctoral student Sasha
Draggeim) version of Shanghai Old and New, an early sound film directed by
Cheng Bugao 程步高, with a screenplay by Hong Shen. The film initiated a
trend in Chinese filmmaking in the late 1930s and 1940s to depict strata
of social life through the intertwined stories of the residents of a small
Shanghai apartment building.

Details:

Shanghai Old and New
Hagerty Hall, 180