MCLC: Chinese Music History

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 15 13:16:39 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Max-Leonhard von Schaper <mlvonschaper at yahoo.de>
Subject: Chinese Music History

Dear members of the MCLC LIST,

We of Rock in China and Music-China.org are rolling out a new project: It
is our aim to map and document the complete history of Chinese music
online. Therefore we are inviting institutes, organisations, universities,
professors, teachers and students to join in and support us. The reason
for this project is the same reason that led us to start with Rock in
China 9 years ago: Currently there is no overall comprehensive and
detailed website about the historical development of Chinese music. And we
want to change this and create a free public domain online reference.
Independent from the topic of rock music we are going to look at
traditional music, folk music, Chinese opera, Tang Dynasty music and many
other Chinese music related topics. As we have expanded our online wiki
into semantic web last November and received over 2 million page views in
respond to that, we believe that we have create the right tool landscape
to realize our aims.

How can you help us? Help can be joining in on creating and editing of
relevant online articles in our wiki together with other interested users.
Help can be searching for copyright-free sources, media, photos and texts
that can be used for our articles. Help can be also promotion of this
project, announcing it online and establishing contacts with other
interested parties.

Amongst others, we are focussing on the following topics:

Development of music in China:
History of music in China‎ | History of Rock in China | Chinese music
during the Tang Dynasty | Chinese music during the Song Dynasty | Chinese
music during pre-dynasty times | History of Cantopop | History of Mandopop
| and many other focus articles …

Development of folk music in China:
Anhui Folk | Bai Folk | Chaohu Folk | Children music | Chuanjiang Work
Songs | Dance Songs | Dangtu Folk | Danzhou Folk | Eight-cornered Drum
Song | Field Songs | Fishermen Songs | Folk Rock | Grand song of the Dong
ethnic group | Hehuang Hua'er | Hequ Folk | Hoomii | Hua'er | Jing Music
at Beijing Zhihuasi Temple | Kazakh Folk | Liaoning Gu Music | Lishui
Boatmen Work Songs | Meizhou Mountain Songs | Mongolian Folk | Mountain
Songs | Mudong Mountain Songs | Muqam | Nanxi Work Songs | Naxi Ancient
Music | Neofolk | Pipa Songs of the Dong people | Ritual Songs | Sangzhi
Folk | She Folk | Shizhu Tujia Luoer Folk | Small Tunes | Taomin Hua'er |
The Bearer's Song of Ba Mountain | Tibetan La-She Folk | Twelve Copper
Drum Melodies | Urtin Duu Folk | Uyghur Folk | Vendor Cries | Work Songs |
Xingguo Mountain Folk Songs | Xingshan Folk | Yazhou Folk | Zhongshan
xianshui Folk | Ziyang Folk | Zuoquan Kaihua Diao

Development of instrumental music in China:
Bangu | Banhu | Bawu | Bianqing | Bianzhong | Chiba | Cizhonghu |
Daguangxian | Dihu | Diyingehu | Dizi | Duxianqin | Erhu | Erxian |
Fangxiang | Fish-drum | Fou | Gaohu | Gehu | Gourd mouth organ | Gu | Guan
| Guban | Guqin | Guzheng | Hu hu | Huluhu | Hulusi | Huobosi |Huqin |
Jiaohu | Jiegu | Jing erhu | Jinghu | Konghou | Maguhu | Mangtong | Morin
khuur | Paixiao | Pipa | Sheng  | Sounding stone | Suona | Tiqin |
Tobshuur | Tuhu | Xiao | Xindi | Xun | Yehu | Yu | Zhonghu | Zhu | Zhuihu

You can read more about this project on our project page:
http://www.music-china.org/w/Music-China_Wiki:Chinese_Music_History

This project is intended to start in April 2013, but account registration
is already available. Everyone who is actively helping is going to be
mentioned on our project page with his/her user name and will also be
mentioned as contributor in our project status newslets.

I hope that you can join our project. We are open to all ideas,
suggestions or critical comments and will definitely support in terms of
account creation, introduction to wiki works and other topics.

Am looking forward to hearing from you,

Many greetings from the sunny island of Macau,
Max-Leonhard von Schaper

www.music-china.org