MCLC: Winter Sun review (2)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 8 09:09:26 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Claudia Pozzana <claudia.pozzana at gmail.com>
Subject: Winter Sun review (2)

About Shi Zhi poems:

I would like to ask: what would be the evaluation of the poetic text if
she did not know who wrote it, i.e. which "critical vision" could be
applied if the poem was written by Mr. Nobody? Two of the best Italian
women poets of the last 40 years were in psychiatric hospitals from time
to time (Alda Merini, Amelia Rosselli). This interfered obviously with
their vision of life, but it was their real, so their poetic was crossed
by this very experience. Moreover, if one is in a psychic crisis does not
writes poems, cannot write poems.

Shi Zhi is not his poem, a poem does not correspond to its author. I like
the expression by Yang Lian who said "Poem writes the poets" and not the
other way round. One analyses a poetic text, not the life of the poet, and
absolutely not labelling the poet with supposed psychiatric disease.

Best, Claudia