MCLC: not even room for a peaceful desk?

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 7 08:06:27 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: kirk (denton.2 at osu.edu)
Subject: not even room for a peaceful desk?

I'm posting this query on behalf of a list member who wishes to remain
anonymous. To respond, just "reply" to this email, and I will post to the
whole list.

Kirk

I'm seeking an English-language quote from a Spence book, either The Gate
of Heavenly Peace or The Search for Modern China, and it's a translation
of the famous "not even room for a peaceful writing desk/连一张平静的书桌都放
不下"
quote. I'm specifically looking for the English-language translation.

Thanks.