MCLC: NYU booting Chen Guangcheng (3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 15 15:48:30 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Paul Mooney <pjmooney at me.com>
Subject: NYU booting Chen Guangcheng (3)

Thank you to Professor Karl for your comments on Chen Guangcheng and NYU.
I Worked with Mr Chen on his English memoirs from last November until
early March. I agree that there's no reason to believe there's any
connection between his leaving NYU and the university's Shanghai program.
My one point is that I think it's wrong to say NYU has kicked Mr Chen out
with little notice. My understanding from the beginning was that this was
to be a one year arrangement, so the phrase kicked out is not appropriate.
Also, I discussed Mr Chen's plans with him back in March, and while it was
not clear then if an arrangement could be made to extend his stay at the
university, which i think he would have preferred, he was considering what
to do next. This decision certainly was not a surprise and I know that
Professor Jerry Cohen and the US Asia Law Institute were trying to find
another opportunity for him. He apparently has two options he's
considering. Finally, throughout his stay at NYU Mr Chen spoke at various
forums at NYU and elsewhere, often with the assistance of Prof Cohen and
Professor Ira Belkin. If China was upset, it had no impact on Mr Chen's
activities while he was at NYU.

Paul Mooney