MCLC: Leung Ping Kwan dies at 63 (1,2,3)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 8 08:14:58 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Claudia Pozzana <claudia.pozzana at gmail.com>
Subject: Leung Ping Kwan dies at 63 (1)

Really too sad news! He was in Italy a few years ago and we had a very
intense talk about poetry and intellectual life in Asia.

Claudia

From: Stalling, Jonathan C. <stalling at ou.edu>
Subject: Leung Ping Kwan dies at 63 (2)

This is truly terrible news. Ye Si (PK) is not only one of the most
important HK poets in the post WWII period, but his unmatched range of
influences and boundless engagements have set in motion a transpacific
vision of literature and art where poets, critics, artists and
intellectuals work fluidly and passionately across genres and
national/linguistic borders alike to wrest the present's future from the
crude tracks nailed down by colonial, capital, and ideological
instrumentality. He was also a tremendously kind and generous person and
will be missed by so many whose lives he has touched.

From: Michelle Yeh <mmyeh at ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Leung Ping Kwan dies at 63 (3)

I am shocked by the news because Ping-kwan and I exchanged emails just a
week or so ago. I am also deeply saddened by the loss of an old friend.
Ping-kwan is an outstanding writer who over the past five decades has
created an enormous corpus of work across multiple genres and in multiple
media. In addition to being a major writer in the Chinese-speaking world,
he was a scholar, editor, and culture critic who played an important role
in introducing modernism, bridging serious literature and popular culture,
and pioneering postcolonial literature in Hong Kong. His work has been
translated into many languages.

Ping-kwan was one of the most unassuming, open-minded, and cosmopolitan
people I've known. He was proud to be a Hongkonger while his work
made--and will continue to make--Hong Kong proud of him. A brilliant
writer with a big heart, he will be sorely missed.

Michelle