MCLC: dissent speaks code (2,3,4)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 8 08:14:41 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Han Meng <hanmeng at gmail.com>
Subject: dissent speaks code (2)

From the 汉语大词典:

13.表示被动。犹让,为。《北史·麦铁杖传》:“吾荷國恩,今是死日。我得被殺,爾當富貴。”
唐  元稹 《说剑》诗:“曾被掛樹枝,寒光射林藪。”《儒林
外史》第十一回:“ 楊執中 恍然醒悟道:‘是了,是了,這事被我這個老嫗所誤!’”

But when did 被 take on a negative connotation?

Han Meng

From: Scott Savitt <scottsavitt at gmail.com>
Subject: dissent speaks code (3)

I just did a quick word search on Hongloumeng, and 被 for 'passive' didn't
come up.  But a lot of examples came up in Shuihuzhuan.

I'll change the wording when the full version of this essay comes out.
It's still true that late-Qing began using 被 a lot more to handle the
influx of Western grammar, but you're clearly right that it was there
earlier, too.

Scott

From: Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
Subject: dissent speaks code 4)

Yes, I wondered about that comment as well. While it may indeed have
worked to translate "Western" passive form(s), it does seem to have been
around for awhile:

At least according to 在线新华字典
http://xh.5156edu.com/html3/16042.html

被