MCLC: dissent speaks code (1)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 7 09:49:25 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Costas Kouremenos <enaskitis at gmail.com>
Subject: dissent speaks code (1)

In the article by Xiao Qiang and Perry Link, I read:

<<bei, which originally meant "quilt" or, as a verb, "to cover," but about
a century ago became a grammatical device used for translating the passive
voice in Western languages>>

Is it so recent? A book in French I have, called Initiation à la syntaxe
chinoise, by XU Dan, (Asiathe`que), says that bei dates back to before the
3rd c. BC and gained traction after the Han and especially under the Tang,
when it replaced wei. And the author cites a 1988 article by Tang Yuming (唐
钰明), 唐至清的被字句,from 中国语言,6, 459-468.

Costas Kouremenos