MCLC: Liu Xia poetry reading

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 30 10:06:03 EST 2013

MCLC LIST
From: pjmooney <pjmooney at me.com>
Subject: Liu Xia poetry reading

Free Liu Xia: Liu Xia Poetry Reading in New York on Jan. 14

Xue Di, Coordinator, Freedom to Write and Literature Exchange Committee,
Independent Chinese PEN Center, xuedi6 at gmail.com
Sarah Hoffman, Freedom to Write Program Coordinator, PEN American Center,
212-334-1660 ext 111, sarah at pen.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WHAT: The Independent Chinese PEN Center (ICPC), PEN American Center and
Friends of LXB are jointly sponsoring an event entitled “Free Liu Xia: Liu
Xia Poetry Reading”.  There will be a showing of a 5-minute documentary on
the Chinese Nobel Laureate Liu Xiaobo and his wife Liu Xia.  We will then
have bilingual readings of Liu Xia’s selected poems at the same location.
(Liu Xia’s poems will be read in English translation followed by a reading
of the original versions in Chinese.)  The event will conclude with a
discussion of Liu Xia’s current living situation and her well being in
China.

WHEN:Tuesday, January 14th, 2014
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

WHERE:Roosevelt House
Public Policy Institute at Hunter College
47-49 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065

WHO: Beiling, Xue Di, Zhenyi, Zhangzhen, Huangxiang, and other writers.

This event is free and open to the public.

Liu Xia is a poet, artist, and founding member of Independent Chinese PEN
Center. Since Liu Xiaobo was named the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in
October 2010, Liu Xia has been held in her Beijing apartment without
access to phones, the Internet, doctors of her choice, or visitors. As the
third anniversary of Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize ceremony approaches,
security appears to be tightening around her. In recent weeks, there has
been increased concern regarding the mental health of Liu Xia, who is
reportedly suffering from depression.
<http://worldvoices.pen.org/rapid-action/2013/12/06/fifth-anniversary-liu-x
iaobos-arrest-grave-concerns-liu-xia>

This event will highlight the situation of Liu Xia’s difficult life in
China while her husband Liu Xiabo is in prison.  We will hear her
sorrowful but strong voice and will offer our support to Liu Xia, to Liu
Xiaobo, and to many others who suffer from political persecution in
mainland China.

For further information, please contact David Rong, Director, ICPC office
in New York:  646-595-5888.