MCLC: Cantonese novels (6)

Denton, Kirk denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 30 09:58:57 EDT 2013

MCLC LIST
From: Gilbert Fong <gilbertfong at hsmc.edu.hk>
Subject: Cantonese novels (6)

Dear all,

Thanks for your interest in things Cantonese. In fact there is a "surging"
undercurrent of Cantonese culture (read: Hong Kong culture vs. Mainland
Chinese culture ) in Hong Kong. It appears that "resistance" to Chinese
rule is gathering momentum under allowable circumstances and limitations,
and the Cantonese language has been appropriated as a signifier of that
resistance.

This phenomenon is most obvious in newspapers, magazines and especially on
the internet. As for drama, the "resistance" aspect is not so prevalent
(probably because almost all Hong Kong play productions are being
subsidized by government money.) But this has helped to keep drama
"Cantonese". The use of Cantonese is the norm; it is a legitimate language
in writing, translating and performing drama.

Not all Cantonese plays have surtitles. Most of the big productions by the
Hong Kong Repertory Theatre, the flagship drama company in Hong Kong, do
adhere to the practice. Some Hong Kong arts festival productions also have
surtitles. Language remains a stumbling block stopping Hong Kong theatre,
which has a very high standard, from being introduced to and accepted by
other Chinese speaking regions.

Finally I am compiling a list of my writings on Hong Kong theatre and will
post it as soon as it is ready.

Again, thank you for your enthusiasm.

Gilbert C. F. Fong